From: Stephen Frost (sfrost_at_snowman.net)
Date: Thu 07 Apr 2005 - 15:38:15 BST

* Herbert Poetzl (herbert_at_13thfloor.at) wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 07, 2005 at 12:14:48AM -0400, Paul S. Gumerman wrote:
> > glibc seems to work fine.
> > BTW what are the "Known issues" with glibc????
>
> according to Enrico (please confirm or correct)
> the glibc has issues with the fake name resolver
> and is generally considered insecure because usually
> dynamically linked ...

This really needs further explanation and justification.
What about glibc being dynamically linked (and able to
load other libraries) makes it insecure, specifically?
What changes would need to be done to make use of it
secure?

It seems to me that the main thing is to just avoid the
situation in the code where you've chroot'd but have yet
to finish and are calling functions. Basically, make
sure you don't call any functions which could load up
a library (this isn't hard, esp. as I'd expect the
chroot call to be basically the very last thing that's
done).

I'm not actually 100% sure even that situation is a
problem but it's the only thing I could think of that
*might* be. The specific issue Enrico is concerned
with really needs to be laid out and vetted.

        Stephen