From: Enrico Scholz (enrico.scholz_at_sigma-chemnitz.de)
Date: Mon 11 Apr 2005 - 16:37:42 BST

Herbert Poetzl <herbert_at_13thfloor.at> writes:

>> To clearify things:
>>
>> util-vserver prefers to use _syscall3() (which is called 'fast'
>> syscall invocation method in the ./configure output) when it is
>> available. _syscall3() is often implemented with inline assembler
>> in <asm/unistd.h>. But at least on i386, it can not be used in
>> combination with dynamic linking as it writes to the %ebx register
>> which is reserved for PIC addressing.
>>
>> Therefore, most glibc kernel-headers do not provide the _syscallX()
>> functions overall and the 'traditional' syscall(2) must be used.
>
> what if we implement the _syscall3 for all known platforms
> in a proper way, and feed them back to glibc/kernel headers
> as well as integrate them into dietlibc and/or util-vserver?

The kernel (resp. projects like [1] which provide sanitized
headers) would be the right place for such changes. But there
will pass much time before you can rely on it. These headers
are/should not be provided by libc implementations.

Enrico

Footnotes:
[1] http://ep09.pld-linux.org/~mmazur/linux-libc-headers/