From: Arjen (arjen_at_renegade.demon.nl)
Date: Wed 27 Apr 2005 - 10:26:22 BST

On Wed, 20 Apr 2005, Herbert Poetzl wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 19, 2005 at 11:06:56PM +0200, Arjen wrote:
>> Hi!
>>
>> Playing around with my vservers i noticed this, i can ssh from my root
>> server to my vservers, but from my vservers i can't ssh to another vserver,
>> to the rootserver or to the 'outside'. Is this common behavior? If not any
>> hints on how to get around this? I can imagine it has something to do with
>> all network interfaces having the same macaddress on host and vservers, but
>> was hoping there was a workaround. For now i'm stuck with 'Host verification
>> failed', not handy when having port 22 on my nat-router forwarded to a
>> vserver.
>>
>> Oh, btw, when I do it as root it works! Now I really don't get it.
>
> sounds like an userspace/configuration issue to me ...
>
> did you check the logs on the server side? maybe some
> permissions are not as expected ... does ssh or any
> shell work as user (inside the vserver)?

Nothing in the logs...

Yes, i can start f.e. sash without any problems. But i still can't ssh
out of the vserver as a normal user, only as root.

The thing is, i'm still battling this. I've got a similar problem using
screen, when i start screen as a normal user it tells me:
No more PTYs.
Sorry could not find a PTY.

I can fix this for screen by making it suid, but thats not a real
solution.

I've been googling for the ssh issue and found that this also could be
related to not being able to allocate a tty.

Sorry for bringing this up again, but i'm getting tired of having to su
to be able to ssh out of my vservers.

Any hints appreciated!
-Arjen