From: Werner Schalk (werner_schalk_at_gmx.de)
Date: Sun 15 May 2005 - 22:44:18 BST

Hi,

I am trying to set up a vserver with MySQL etc. However when I try to start
MySQL inside the vserver I get the following error message:

/ # /etc/init.d/mysql stop
 * Stopping mysqld... [ !! ]

/ # /etc/init.d/mysql start
* Starting mysqld... [ ok ]

/ # mysql
ERROR 2002: Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket
'/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock' (2)

In the logfiles I get the following error message:

050526 02:39:24 mysqld started
050526 2:39:24 Can't start server : Bind on unix socket: Permission denied
050526 2:39:24 Do you already have another mysqld server running on
socket: /var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock ?
050526 2:39:24 Aborting

I am using util-vserver 0.30.205-r1 on kernel 2.6.11.6-grsec-vs1.9.5 (Gentoo).
What permissions do I have to grant to the vserver in order to make MySQL
start successfully? Where do I have to set them?

All the best & thanks,
Werner.