From: Gilles (gilles_at_harfang.homelinux.org)
Date: Mon 16 May 2005 - 16:18:43 BST

Hi.

> > Or, are there good reasons for "/dev/console" not being
> > available inside a vserver?
>
> well, /dev/console is not virtualized ... probably the
> best is to replace it with /dev/null

That makes it very quiet indeed ;-)
But it might be nice to see the "virtual boot" messages...

> or if you really
> want to see the output with /dev/tty0 ...

... So this suggestion is more appropriate, but this file doesn't
exist. I have "tty" inside the "dev" directory. When symlinking
"console" to it, I get an error message:

- runit: warning: unable to open /dev/console: device not configured

> but if you
> think that guests should have access to the host
> console then you can also provide /dev/console ...

It's not needed in this instance.
But, just in case, how can one provide new devices?
Is it just a matter of running

 mknod /vservers/phony/dev/console c 5 1

?

Thanks,