From: Gilles (gilles_at_harfang.homelinux.org)
Date: Sun 22 May 2005 - 10:25:29 BST

Hi.

> > Is it OK to have several "default" routes.
>
> yes, it _is_ okay, as long as they are bound to a source address,
> otherwise they do not make too much sense ...

1. How do the "users" of the gateway know their source address?
2. Does the output of "route" show an indication of what is the source?
3. How to set the source for a default route?

> see http://archives.linux-vserver.org/200311/0470.html
> (solution a) was implemented and b) is still? planned but might
> be superceeded by ngnet ...)

First I removed the "network" and "gateway" entries in the "interfaces" file.
Then I put a "routing.sh" script in "/etc/vservers/phony/scripts/pre-start.d"
containing the following lines:

ip route add 192.168.83.0/24 dev eth0.2
ip route add default via 192.168.83.2 dev eth0.2
ip rule add from 192.168.83.0/24

Then:

# vserver phony start
ERROR: trying to add VLAN #2 to IF -:eth0:- error: Invalid argument
RTNETLINK answers: File exists
RTNETLINK answers: File exists
RTNETLINK answers: Invalid argument

Failed to start vserver 'phony'

:-{

> > Those are automatically created from
> > the "gateway" lines in file "/etc/network/interfaces")?
>
> which are simply false, you should, btw, let the tools create
> those interfaces and focus on setting up the routing ...

Could you expand somewhat on that?

4. Why false?
5. What tools are you talking about?
6. The interfaces must be set up on the host, no?
7. Also some routing must be set up on the host as I want Host1 to be
   able to reach Vs1 and Vs2 (which are Host1's guests) but routed
   through the firewall at Host2. But maybe this isn't possible (one
   of my questions in the original post)?

> might be interesting to add an /etc/vservers/*/interfaces/*/gateway
> to the config and set up table based routing if compiled into
> the kernel, etc ... (any volunteers?)

So, currently, should this functionality be handled at the "scripts"
directory level (as I tried above)?

Thanks,
Gilles