From: Gregory (Grisha) Trubetskoy (grisha_at_ispol.com)
Date: Sun 26 Jun 2005 - 02:34:27 BST

On Sun, 26 Jun 2005, Hans Eschler wrote:

> What are the possibilities of using linux-vserver virtual machines with
> loadbalancers.
>
> Roundrobin, direct routing or nat?

We've had succesfully set up direct server return load-balancing, where
vservers were on different physical machines.

Direct server return means that the loadbalancer uses mac to send a packet
which is then accepted by a server's kernel because the destination IP
exists on the loopback interface. E.g. if the VIP is 1.2.3.4, then on
every load balanced server you configure 1.2.3.4 on the loopback. Since
loopbacks aren't visible from outside, there is no conflict.

So for vserver, we used the dummy interfaces as the VIPs. There was a
trick we had to do to alter the default ARP behaviour:

echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/conf/eth0/arp_ignore

Without this eth0 would answer even for the IP that's on the dummy
interface.

This was done with 1.9.x vserver. I haven't looked at how 2.0 deals with
interfaces yet, I have a suspicion it might even be easier if we have a
private loopback interface for every vserver.

Grisha