From: Martin Honermeyer (maze_at_strahlungsfrei.de)
Date: Sat 25 Jun 2005 - 16:11:55 BST

(I am cross posting this to the linux-vserver list, as it is of interest to
those people, too.)

Hello Pablo,

many thanks!! I got it working!!! This is what I did:

* Deleted everything from /tmp.
* Tried to login again => same problem, window closes after a few seconds
* looked at the user's .xsession-errors file:
_IceTransmkdir: ERROR: Owner of /tmp/.ICE-unix must be set to root
_IceTransSocketUNIXCreateListener: mkdir(/tmp/.ICE-unix) failed, errno = 1
_IceTransMakeAllCOTSServerListeners: failed to create listener for local

* So I looked into /tmp. The directory .ICE-unix was already there, the
owner set to my user.
* So I did:
$ chown root /tmp/.ICE-unix
$ chown root /tmp/.X11-unix

* Login => works and runs like a shot!!! :-)

Note: I have to re-run those two commands every time I reboot the VServer.
It seems like starting an X-Server from within FreeNX doesn't set up those
permissions in /tmp correctly. Maybe that's because I don't have something
like KDM run beforehand.

VServer configuration: I didn't have to enable any additional capabilities!

Nice greetings,
Martin

http://savannah.nongnu.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs/util-vserver/util-vserver/lib/bcaps-v13.c?rev=HEAD.