From: Brian Ipsen (bipsen-dated-1122383861.fabe68_at_andebakken.dk)
Date: Tue 19 Jul 2005 - 14:17:40 BST

Hi,

> > My "base" vserver is up and running (with the vserver
> > kernel) - the problem is creating a virtual server...
> > I'm running WhiteBox Enterprise Linux 4 (a RHEL clone),
> > but have difficulties figuring out how to create the
> > distribution stuff - and where does it pick the RPM
> > packages from ??
> >
> > Any hints, links, instructions etc are appreciated ...
>
> I recommend to:
>
> 1. choose the best-fitting distribution from
> /usr/lib/util-vserver/distributions; in your case, this is
> probably fc4.
>
> 2. copy the files from there into a suitable directory under
> /etc/vservers/.distributions/ :
>
> | # cp -a /usr/lib/util-vserver/distributions/fc4 \
> /etc/vservers/.distributions/wbel4
>
> This directory ('wbel4') will be used later at the '-d' option
> of the 'vserver ... build' command
>
> 3. adjust the initpre/initpost symlinks
>
> 4. depending on your installation method, you need to:
>
> - create a sources.list for apt in the apt/ subdirectory, or
> - adjust the yum repositories in the yum.repos.d/ subdir, or
> - add/change files in the rpmlist.d/ subdir

Okay, I guess I need to set up an apt or yum repository myself, since I'm
not aware of any public ones (WBEL uses the up2date command). - Next step is
to locate apt-get or yum, that will run on WBEL4..

> When WhiteBox Enterprise Linux is like RHEL, you should now
> be able to create new vservers with
>
> | # vserver ... build -m yum ... -- -d wbel4
>
> out-of-the-box (although it is strongly recommended to patch yum).

Okay - I'll try to see if I can get something up and running ... Otherwise
I'll be back for more info ;-)

Regards,
/Brian