From: Herbert Poetzl (herbert_at_13thfloor.at)
Date: Fri 12 Aug 2005 - 00:55:30 BST

On Thu, Aug 11, 2005 at 09:56:20AM -0400, Stephen Harris wrote:
> The 2.4.30 patch applied cleanly to 2.4.31 (except the top Makefile, of
> course) so I'm guessing it should work...
>
> It all seems good, but sometimes I get errors when trying to mount stuff
> into a vserver tree
>
> This works:
>
> [root]/home/sweh
> backup.pts/2% vserver webssh status
> Server webssh is running
> 13 processes running
> Vserver uptime: 13:01
>
> [root]/home/sweh
> backup.pts/2% mount -r backup:/RedHat/updates/core1 /vservers/webssh/RedHat

no idea 'what' filesystem you did mount here, but to me
it looks like a network filesystem (i.e. nfs)

> [root]/home/sweh
> backup.pts/2% ls /vservers/webssh/RedHat
> MIRROR* MIRROR.o* f* f.o* updates/
>
> [root]/home/sweh
> backup.pts/2% vserver webssh enter
> SIOCSIFBRDADDR: Cannot assign requested address
> SIOCSIFFLAGS: Cannot assign requested address

this is a good sign of a broken config (network wise)

> ipv4root is now 10.0.0.2
> New security context is 49173

and just as sidenote, you should avoid dynamic context
ids, unless you are looking for trouble :)

> bash: ulimit: core file size: cannot modify limit: Invalid argument

this looks evem more like a debian^Wconfig issue, where
you specified a limit (maybe -H or -S) without raising
the proper other limit (specify -HS to solve that)

> [root_at_vserver:webssh /]ls /RedHat/
> MIRROR MIRROR.o f f.o updates
>
> The /RedHat tree inside the vserver matches what is seen outside the
> vserver.
>
> However, this fails:
>
> [root]/home/sweh
> backup.pts/2% vserver mailgate status
> Server mailgate is running
> 6 processes running
> Vserver uptime: 13:01
>
> [root]/home/sweh
> backup.pts/2% mount -r backup:/RedHat/updates/core1 /vservers/mailgate/RedHat
>
> [root]/home/sweh
> backup.pts/2% ls /vservers/mailgate/RedHat
> MIRROR* MIRROR.o* f* f.o* updates/
>
> [root]/home/sweh
> backup.pts/2% vserver mailgate enter
> SIOCSIFBRDADDR: Cannot assign requested address
> SIOCSIFFLAGS: Cannot assign requested address
> ipv4root is now 10.0.0.3

this is a different IP than the one before, NFS isn't
handled that well on 2.4, but of course, the guest
will send requests with 10.0.0.3 now, which, in turn
might lead to the Permission denied (if your server
does not allow 10.0.0.3 to access the share)

> New security context is 49172
> bash: ulimit: core file size: cannot modify limit: Invalid argument
> [root_at_vserver:mailgate /]ls /RedHat
> ls: /RedHat: Permission denied
>
> The XXX.sh files are the same and the XXX.conf files only differ in IPROOT
> and S_HOSTNAME and are otherwise identical. The underlying mount point
> is OK:
>
> [root]/home/sweh
> backup.pts/2% ls -ld /vservers/*/RedHat
> drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Aug 9 10:22 /vservers/mailgate/RedHat/
> drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Aug 9 10:22 /vservers/webssh/RedHat/

is okay from the host, which probably uses a third
IP (!= 10.0.0.2 and 10.0.0.3), which, of course, is
a completely different story :)

> The vservers are otherwise running happily and are running the daemons
> they should be running. I'm essentially using vservers as "bastion host"
> gateways into my network from the outside world.
>
> Any ideas? I can't move to a 2.6 kernel since I need IDE hotswapping...

hmm, and IDE hotswapping did work with 2.4 but does
not with 2.6? interesting ...

> (BTW, excellent documentation: setting up the initial fc1 minimal vserver
> was simplicity!)

glad to hear that ...

HTH,
Herbert