From: Herbert Poetzl (herbert_at_13thfloor.at)
Date: Fri 12 Aug 2005 - 11:48:53 BST

On Fri, Aug 12, 2005 at 11:40:35AM +0300, Yuriy Levin wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have fallowing troubles starting vserver: after executing "vserver
> <name> start" I get error message:
>
> -----begin-----
> save_ctxinfo: execv(): No such file or directory
>
> An error occurred while executing the vserver startup sequence; when
> there are no other messages, it is very likely that the init-script
> (/etc/init.d/rc 3) failed.
>
> Common causes are:
> * /etc/rc.d/rc on Fedora Core 1 and RH9 fails always; the 'apt-rpm' build
> method knows how to deal with this, but on existing installations,
> appending 'true' to this file will help.
> -----end-----

hmm, check that your /etc/rc.d/rc inside the guest
can be executed when you chroot-ed into the guest

e.g. chroot /path/to/guest /etc/rc.d/rc
(but be careful, because of the side effects)

> I run FC3 box with kernel 2.6.11-vs1.9.5-rc1 and
> util-vserver-0.30.204.

updating to recent patches (vs2.0) and utils would
not hurt I'd say ...

> Vprocunhide and vshelper scripts starts without any errors during
> system startup. Vserver was built with skeleton method, then Debian
> working OS template was used as guest OS.

maybe it isn't that working at all, check for
libraries and such ...

> Also I would like to read about building vservers. There are lot of
> faqs and howtos at project website, but I couldn't find anything about
> building methods and initstyles. Does somebody knows useful links?

http://linux-vserver.org/alpha+util-vserver
(large section about vserver creation)

http://www.nongnu.org/util-vserver/doc/conf/configuration.html
(all ugly details about the config)

http://linux-vserver.org/InitStyles
(a first start on describing the init styles)

HTH,
Herbert