From: Herbert Poetzl (herbert_at_13thfloor.at)
Date: Fri 12 Aug 2005 - 12:34:12 BST

On Fri, Aug 12, 2005 at 11:50:38AM +0100, naga sudha wrote:
> Hi
>
> This is the first time to start vserver.when i start my vserver i got
> the following errors.can any body help me?
>
> i am using redhat 9 distribution,my kernel is 2.4.26 with vs1.28.one
> more thing is i m unable to connect interface also.I m not able to
> understand the problem.
> here is the logs
>
> vserver vs1 start
>
> Starting the virtual server vs1
> Server vs1 is not running
> SIOCSIFADDR: File exists
> SIOCSIFFLAGS: Cannot assign requested address
> SIOCSIFNETMASK: Cannot assign requested address
> SIOCSIFBRDADDR: Cannot assign requested address
> SIOCSIFFLAGS: Cannot assign requested address

looks like your config (which I do not know) is wrong
in that way that it uses an existing ip/alias but
tries to create it ...

> ipv4root is now 192.168.1.147
> Host name is now vs1.tervela.com
> New security context is 49153

you should not use dynamic contexts for guests ...

> Checking for new hardware [ OK ]
> Updating /etc/fstab unexpected file type for /dev/hdv1

probably a funny fstab entry?

> [FAILED]
> Flushing all current rules and user defined chains:iptables v1.2.7a: can't initialize iptables table `filter': Permission denied (you must be root)
> Perhaps iptables or your kernel needs to be upgraded.
> iptables v1.2.7a: can't initialize iptables table `filter': Permission denied (you must be root)
> Perhaps iptables or your kernel needs to be upgraded.
> [FAILED]
> Clearing all current rules and user defined chains:iptables v1.2.7a: can't initialize iptables table `filter': Permission denied (you must be root)
> Perhaps iptables or your kernel needs to be upgraded.
> iptables v1.2.7a: can't initialize iptables table `filter': Permission denied (you must be root)
> Perhaps iptables or your kernel needs to be upgraded.
> [FAILED]
> iptables v1.2.7a: can't initialize iptables table `filter': Permission denied (you must be root)
> Perhaps iptables or your kernel needs to be upgraded.
> Applying iptables firewall rules: iptables-restore v1.2.7a: iptables-restore: unable to initializetable 'filter'
> Try `iptables-restore -h' or 'iptables-restore --help' for more information.

all those are not really useful on a guest, so the
runlevel entries should be removed ...

> [FAILED]
> Setting network parameters: [ OK ]
> Bringing up loopback interface: arping: socket: Operation n [FAILED]
> Bringing up interface eth0: arping: socket: Operation not permitted
> Error, some other host already uses address 192.168.1.146.
> [FAILED]
> Bringing up interface eth1: SIOCSIFFLAGS: Permission denied
> Failed to bring up eth1.

same here ...

> Starting system logger: [ OK ]
> Starting kernel logger: [ OK ]
> Starting portmapper: [ OK ]
> Starting NFS statd: [ OK ]
> Starting keytable: Loading keymap: [FAILED]
> Couldnt get a file descriptor referring to the console
> Couldnt get a file descriptor referring to the console
> Couldnt get a file descriptor referring to the console
> Couldnt get a file descriptor referring to the console

and again ...

> [FAILED]
> [FAILED]
> Initializing random number generator: [ OK ]
> Starting pcmcia: [ OK ]
> Mounting other filesystems: mount: mount point /boot does not exist
> mount: permission denied
> mount: permission denied
> mount: permission denied
> mount: mount point /dev/shm does not exist
> mount: permission denied
> [FAILED]
> Starting up APM daemon: [ OK ]
> Starting automount:Cannot create temp file /tmp/autofs.sjT1fZ
> could not make temp file
> Starting ipsec: [ OK ]
> Generating SSH1 RSA host key: [FAILED]
> Starting xinetd: [ OK ]
> Starting NFS services: [ OK ]
> Starting NFS quotas: rpc.rquotad: unable to register (RQUOTAPROG, RQUOTAVERS, udp).
> ot permittedStarting NFS daemon: [FAILED]
> Starting NFS mountd: [FAILED]
> Starting vsftpd for vsftpd: [ OK ]
> Starting dhcpd: Internet Software Consortium DHCP Server V3.0pl1

dhcpd inside a guest requires special preparations ...
(see problematic apps for details)

> Copyright 1995-2001 Internet Software Consortium.
> All rights reserved.
> For info, please visit http://www.isc.org/products/DHCP
> unable to create icmp socket: Operation not permitted
> Wrote 0 deleted host decls to leases file.
> Wrote 0 new dynamic host decls to leases file.
> Wrote 0 leases to leases file.
> Not configured to listen on any interfaces!
> If you did not get this software from ftp.isc.org, please
> get the latest from ftp.isc.org and install that before
> requesting help.
> If you did get this software from ftp.isc.org and have not
> yet read the README, please read it before requesting help.
> If you intend to request help from the dhcp-server_at_isc.org
> mailing list, please read the section on the README about
> submitting bug reports and requests for help.
> Please do not under any circumstances send requests for
> help directly to the authors of this software - please
> send them to the appropriate mailing list as described in
> the README file.
> exiting.
> Starting sendmail: /usr/sbin/sendmail: error while loading shared libraries: libgssapi_krb5.so.2: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
> [FAILED]

this is a guest issue (i.e. your shared libraries are
messed up) i.e. it is _not_ vserver related

> Starting sm-client: /usr/sbin/sendmail: error while loading shared libraries: libgssapi_krb5.so.2: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
> [FAILED]
> Starting console mouse services: gpm: oops() invoked from gpn.c(125)
> /dev/console: No such file or directory
> [FAILED]
> Starting httpd: /usr/sbin/httpd: error while loading shared libraries: libgssapi_krb5.so.2: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
> [FAILED]
> Starting crond: [ OK ]
> Starting cups: Traceback (most recent call last):
> File "/usr/sbin/printconf-backend", line 7, in ?
> import backend
> ImportError: No module named backend
> cupsd: error while loading shared libraries: libgssapi_krb5.so.2: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
> [FAILED]
> Starting xfs: [ OK ]
> Starting anacron: [ OK ]
> Starting atd: [FAILED]