From: Stephen Harris (lists_at_spuddy.org)
Date: Sat 13 Aug 2005 - 11:36:34 BST

[ Oops, sorry Herbert... my initial reply only went to you.. sorry! ]

On Sat, Aug 13, 2005 at 03:43:37AM +0200, Herbert Poetzl wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 12, 2005 at 09:03:39PM -0400, Stephen Harris wrote:
> > use bind mounts because I want the vservers to only have read-only
> > access to the filesystem, and bind mounts don't (or didn't, last time
> > I tried) allow changes in permissions between the original location
> > and the bound location.
>
> yeah, right, that's where my BME (Bind Mount Extension)
> patches come into play (fixing this mainline 'bug/feature')

Does this patch work with the 1.2 series? I can't use the 2.0 series
vserver because of my requirement for 2.4 kernels :-(

> > # Select an unused context (this is optional)
> > # The default is to allocate a free context on the fly
> > # In general you don't need to force a context
>
> what defaults are those?

That's what was created by the install-fc1 script which came with
util-verser-0.30-0.

> > guest. So will the request come from the guest's IP address, or will
> > it fall through to the host, and the host make the request.
>
> the host will make the request, but with the guest's ip
> (NFS isn't really supported with 2.4/1.2.x)

Yeah, it seems to be a little messy :-)

> well, it is how networking works right now :)

I can understand _why_ things happen the way they happen, I'm just
supprised it worked at all. I guess the Linux NFS server has a security
issue; as long as the filehandle information works it doesn't check that
the IP address matches the original mount IP address. In this case,
luckily, good!

> > Yeah, it's very annoying. Alan Cox has a lot to say about it!
>
> he probably has ... fixing it would be better, though :)

The 2.6 maintainers don't agree with Alan, so there's an issue :-(

I haven't checked the latest 2.6 kernels, but last month the issue still
seemed to be unresolved. I'd _love_ to move to 2.6 and replace my FC1
system, but it seems I can't (or else pay money for USB enclosures...).