From: Herbert Poetzl (herbert_at_13thfloor.at)
Date: Mon 22 Aug 2005 - 20:02:41 BST

On Mon, Aug 22, 2005 at 08:13:32PM +0200, mess-mate wrote:
> Herbert Poetzl <herbert_at_13thfloor.at> wrote:
> | >
> | > NO.. with a dbootstrap.
> |
> | hmm, and where does the /etc/vservers/deb-etch.conf
> | come from?
> I've created it. Thought it was needed ?
>
> | > Strange, i've no more ifconfig output but can with no problem
> | > connecting to the outside.( internet/lan)
> | > A route give me:
> | > 192.168.1.0 * 255.255.255.0 U 0 0
> | > 0 *
> | > default * 0.0.0.0 UG 0 0
> | > 0 *
> | >
> | > The router is not displayed ???
> |
> | you most likely want to add an interface config for
> | your guest, e.g. something like in the examples ...
> |
> | vserver etch build -m debootstrap --interface hansi=eth0:192.168.0.2/24 --hostname=hansi.ist.org --context 42 -- -d etch -m ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian/ -- --resolve-deps
> |
> Why is it working without your advised setup ?
> There must be an ip somewhere to get outside, my router (with ip
> 192.168.1.1) need it !! What IP is etch using ?

without network config, it is not restricted to
any IPs, so it's probably using whatever is available
on the guest ... (Enrico please correct me if wrong)

> And what i expected was that i coulndn't acces the etch-server-dir.
> Yet ANY user from the host (outside the server-dir) can see and open
> the files, i've tryed it.Not the inverse; when IN the server etch, the
> host can't be accessed ( it can of course with ssh)

ah, well, you can probably fix that with the typical
unix access permissions, e.g. restricting access to
the directory right above the guest's root dir with
something like: chmod o-rwx /vservers

> Sorry if i'm not clear enough.

np, best,
Herbert