From: Herbert Poetzl (herbert_at_13thfloor.at)
Date: Wed 24 Aug 2005 - 13:42:24 BST

On Wed, Aug 24, 2005 at 04:05:32PM +0530, Subhabrata Bhattacharya wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have set up a linux vserver instance built on a skeleton
> configuration, based on a very minimal filesystem [ttylinux].Presently
> I have a /etc which have the various config scripts of the default
> ttylinux system. But with the /etc/inittab file present, whenever I
> type
>
> $ vserver myserver enter
> $ [root_at_ttylinux /]
> [Killed]

who or what is killing your shell?
and more important, why is it getting killed?

I would suspect some u/rlimit here ...

> I get the default shell but after a second or so I get kicked out from
> the vserver shell.
>
> With /etc/inittab absent, there is no problem.

but your guest starts and works as expected?
in this case I'd look for some init based
scripts/daemons which should not run ...

> How do I start the sevices with the machine startup without this
> /etc/inittab

by changing the initstyle to something different
than the plain init style ...

HTH,
Herbert