From: Mike Tierney (miket_at_marketview.co.nz)
Date: Thu 08 Sep 2005 - 03:25:36 BST

Hi Cathy

> I've been wrestling with getting Oracle 10.2.0 running in a SuSE 9.1
> vserver, using the old tools (and 2.4 kernel).

Is there some reason why you need to use SuSE 9.1 and a 2.4 kernel? I'm
assuming it's a vanilla 2.4 kernel with the vserver patch applied or did you
manage to combine the patch with SuSE's customized kernel source?

I'm only asking because the SuSE Enterprise 8 kernels (that Oracle is
certified for) had a number of 2.6 kernel features backported into them,
hence why a vanilla 2.4 kernel with vserver patch *may* cause some issues.
However that may not have anything to do with it!

You can download SuSE Enteprise Linux (SLES) 9 and the 2nd Service Pack for
free from Novell to "evaluate". But it doesn't expire so maybe "evaluate"
isn't quite the correct term to apply (especially given that's 99.9% (or
higher) open source software - but I digress!).

Personally, I'd download SLES 9 SP 2, build a 2.6 vserver kernel and use
SLES 9 SP 2 for your Oracle vserver guest system.