From: Martin (inkubus_at_interalpha.co.uk)
Date: Thu 08 Sep 2005 - 10:55:59 BST

On Wed, 2005-09-07 at 14:19 +0200, Bert De Vuyst wrote:
> We would like to share the /home of a vserver to some workstations. The
> vserver does have a dedicated partition on the harddisk. Using the userpace
> NFS-server is not a option, we did use it in the past (and we don't want it
> back :-)
I presume you were using the old (depreciated) userspace NFS deamon.
Have you looked at / tried:
UNFS3 ( http://unfs3.sourceforge.net/ ). Last time I tried it, it
worked remarkably cleanly on a vserver and was a joy to use.

> What's the risk of using the kernel NFS daemon? Is there a usefull alternative
> for NFS in this situation?
Nothing particularly elegant. Samba is userspace only at the server end
and would be an option. WebDAV via Apache would also be possible but
TBH I'm not sure what client support is like. Beyond that you could
abuse things like SSH or FTP, either with the appropriate LUFS / FUSE
set up on the clients or just using the I/O slaves in KDE / equiv in
GNOME.

HTH.

Cheers,
 - Martin