From: Herbert Poetzl (herbert_at_13thfloor.at)
Date: Wed 14 Sep 2005 - 05:29:38 BST

On Wed, Sep 14, 2005 at 12:10:29AM -0400, Chuck wrote:
> On Tuesday 13 September 2005 11:58 pm, Herbert Poetzl wrote:

> > > do i add that only to the fstab entryt for the /vservers mount point
> > > or do I add that to the system / as well?
> >
> > should be sufficient for the /vservers partition
>
> I added it to the /vservers mount statement in fstab and it worked
> perfectly!

good to hear!

> > > also the kernel has some extended reiserfs options which are
> > > unchecked at this time as I have never known a need for them.
> > > Should they be enabled as well?
> >
> > you probably want CONFIG_REISERFS_FS_XATTR=y but
> > I'm not sure if this is required ...
>
> Guess it cannot hurt to enable it anyway for safety.
>
> Thank you!

you're welcome!

> now i just hope vservers live up to my expectations.. I have been
> given the task of finding a way to consolidate which means looking at
> virtualizing/partitioning to cut the number of servers down. What I am
> hoping for is enough performance to be able to reduce 39 servers to
> just 8 or 9 hosts.. we are a fairly busy isp so some of the servers
> are hit pretty hard..

well, up to 200 guest for a dual CPU Xeon system were
reported working, although I would not suggest to go
that hight, especially if you expect higher load ...

> the only other problem I fear I will run into is in one host there
> will hve to be at least 4 nics since the servers are on various
> vlans and each subnet has its assigned switch port.

well, 4 nics with GB can be rarely satisfied with PC
(and especially 32bit) arch ... if you think about
several 100Mbit interfaces, consider using vlans instead

> to complicate matters even more, several of the vservers will have to
> support a few hundred ip addresses each (email and web for domains
> with dedicated ip addresses).

the current limit is at 16 IPs for each guest, but it
can be raised (easily) but this comes with a drawback
to the overall performance ...

you might want to check if it isn't possible to break
the hosted IPs down into smaller chunks, and take e.g.
10 guests for 16 IPs each (or maybe 5 with 32)

> I only hope this can do it as i have found nothing else suitable other
> than the ibm partitioned minis or blades.....($$$).. I believe UML has
> entirely too much overhead for our needs.

I'm pretty sure it will ... but keep us updated