From: Chuck (chuck_at_sbbsnet.net)
Date: Thu 15 Sep 2005 - 03:32:28 BST

On Wednesday 14 September 2005 10:00 pm, Herbert Poetzl wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 14, 2005 at 09:54:09PM -0400, Chuck wrote:
> > I set up 4 vservers on my secondary workstation which is the machine I
> > am using to experiment with. Absolutely incredible! The performance is
> > staggering. How did you do it? I hit these with all kinds of intense
> > scripting to emulate high usage on ftp file xfers, a setiathome
> > computational machine with nice turned off, a ton of randomly selected
> > web hits and a video being served streaming, and a mysql 'thumb
> > through' a large test database displaying each record for 2 seconds
> > all the while i used the remote gui workstation from my other machine.
> >
> > with all this going on I could hardly notice any performance
> > degradation at all on a single processor 933mhz machine !!!!!!
> >
> > I am MORE than impressed!!
>
> glad that you like it ... you might consider adding
> yourself to the Happy Users page (if not already done
> so) at http://linux-vserver.org/VServer+Users

I definitely will. I will just wait till I have some more to add than just
initial testing.

> > I don't think I will ever build another machine, even for my personal
> > use that is not 'vserver' ready. It just doesn't make sense not to.
> > If I never use it, it is a normal machine. If I want to use it, a few
> > configs and it is up and running.
> >
> > my next step is to move the remote kde workstation code into a vserver
> > and get it off the host and see how that works :D
>
> keep us posted ...

I am thinking maybe the simplest way since this is just a test is to tar the
entire host up and install it into a vserver then make proper config/init
mods by overlaying a new baselayout and lots of editing. there is so much to
compile and configure otherwise.. a fresh install would be different but I
don;'t want to take 3 or 4 days of compiling and instlaling to see if it even
works.. if it does, then I can uninstall from the host and the next
incarnation of this machine will be fresh proper installs.

> > once I figure that out then my next step is to figure out how to clone
> > the template vserver without physically copying everything into a new
> > directory. :)
>
> if you need help with that, just pay a visit to the
> irc channel #vserver @ irc.oftc.net ...

ok. i have an irc plugin in kopete, just never tried it out.

> thanks for the positive feedback, I appreciate it!

no problem at all. this is one incredible package that deserves all the praise
it can get. (still trying to get my brain around most of the concepts
however.. once i do that im sure i can create better more efficient servers)