From: Hilco Wijbenga (hilco.wijbenga_at_gmail.com)
Date: Fri 23 Sep 2005 - 16:23:17 BST

Hi Chuck,

You need to run

emerge metadata && eupdatedb

I do not entirely understand what's going on but the index for portage
is out of whack. I have the same problem whenever I esync my portage
(I have the portage tree on a separate partition and share it on
several vservers). After the esync runs on the vserver where I want it
to run the others need to run the command above.

Bye,
Hilco