From: Herbert Poetzl (herbert_at_13thfloor.at)
Date: Wed 28 Sep 2005 - 14:24:00 BST

On Wed, Sep 28, 2005 at 06:21:07AM -0400, Chuck wrote:

> I presently have nagios set up in a guest on a temporary host. We will
> soon be moving everything to a single 'monster' machine with a backup
> machine for fail-over. The reason for this background is this:
>

> 1. Can I somehow set things up so a guest can execute a pre-defined
> command script on the host? This would allow nagios to do things like
> re-start a guest if it is not responding.

this would also compromise guest security, but it
is doable, given you provide the necessary
capabilites and/or lower/remove the chroot
protections ...

> 2. Alternatively I could run nagios on the host. What would be any
> performance impact on the guests if I were to do this? It would check
> approximately 100 customer routers and maybe 3 other machines. This
> would be the extent of any network resources used, the rest of the
> checks would be done to the guests ( about 70 checks to do locally)
> and the fail-over machine.
>
> I suspect option 2 is my best way but it would still be nice to know
> if option 1 could be done. :)
>
> I understand the need to keep the host as 'clean' as possible, but
> in real world situations, I would assume no performance impact or at
> least minimal if the host runs low resource services such as ntpd,
> private sshd etc.

doesn't matter where you run it (from the
performance point of view), host or guest have
basically the same impact on the whole system

security and isolation is the advantage of a
guest version ...

> I am wondering where nagios would fall in the low-impact definitions?
> Although it has a lot of work to do, it appears to use very few
> resources.

HTH,
Herbert