Re: [Vserver] x with nvidia module in vserver?

From: Chuck <chuck_at_sbbsnet.net>
Date: Tue 04 Oct 2005 - 13:36:57 BST

On Tuesday 04 October 2005 08:22 am, Torsten Becker wrote:

just thought of something. I have not tried this yet, but have you tried
driver is needed.. i would think it can be made to latch onto the driver
already loaded.

> Chuck schrieb:
> Since the vserver can not load a module I load it in the host.
> The host is my also my testsystem for the nvidia-module. I have a
> complete x-workstation installed in the host.
>
> Greets, Torsten
>
> >On Tuesday 04 October 2005 08:08 am, Torsten Becker wrote:
> >
> >I have not tried this yet, but this is one of my priorities after I finish
the
> >servers. I also would be interested in a solution.
> >
> >One question. Do you pre-load the nvidia module at startup so X doesn't
have
> >to try to insert it into the kernel?
> >
> >I am going to need full functionality since I run a heavily loaded twinview
> >desktop.
> >

> >>Hello List,
> >>
> >>I try to run a complete workstation in a vserver including a x-server.
> >>This is no problem since I do not try to use the hardware acceleration
> >>with the nvidia kernel module.
> >>I have set several capabilities for the vserver:
> >>
> >>CAP_CHOWN
> >>CAP_DAC_READ_SEARCH
> >>CAP_FOWNER
> >>CAP_FSETID
> >>CAP_KILL
> >>CAP_SETGID
> >>CAP_SETUID
> >>CAP_SETPCAP
> >>CAP_NET_BIND_SERVICE
> >>CAP_NET_BROADCAST
> >>CAP_NET_RAW
> >>CAP_SYS_MODULE
> >>CAP_SYS_RAWIO
> >>CAP_SYS_CHROOT
> >>CAP_SYS_PTRACE
> >>CAP_SYS_PACCT
> >>CAP_MKNOD
> >>CAP_LEASE
> >>
> >>I copied the device files from the host to the vserver. If I use the
> >>"nv" driver for xfree all is well. But if I try to use "nvidia" xfree
fails
> >>with the error "unable to load kernel module". This is clear for me.
> >>Then I tried to figure out which device is used with the "nv" driver. I
> >>tried to copa the device file /dev/nvidia0-4 from the host to
> >>/dev/video0-4 in the vserver.
> >>But the 3d-accel does not function...
> >>
> >>Does anyone have a hint for me, how I can manage this? Or is it
impossible?
> >>I use this configuration to deploy the workstations to a pool of pc's.
> >>Therefor the security between host and vserver is not first goal.
> >>
> >>Greets, Torsten

Chuck
"...and the hordes of M$*ft users descended upon me in their anger,
and asked 'Why do you not get the viruses or the BlueScreensOfDeath
or insecure system troubles and slowness or pay through the nose
for an OS as *we* do?!!', and I answered...'I use Linux'. "
The Book of John, chapter 1, page 1, and end of book