Re: [Vserver] Missing Gentoo init script?

From: Benedikt Boehm <hollow_at_gentoo.org>
Date: Sun 09 Oct 2005 - 08:11:11 BST

On Sunday 09 October 2005 02:55, Chuck wrote:
> On Saturday 08 October 2005 08:01 pm, Benedikt Boehm wrote:
>

> its a good place to put it when you use the vservers init script to auto
> start. but when you dont there is no option to call vservers unhide or
> some such to just run vprocunhide... i know i can set all the guests to
> some mark other than default or change the default to some other name, but
> when working on the systems its a pain to keep editing back and forth so
> vservers doesnt find anything to start..
>
> please realize this is my own uneducated opinion, but i still vote for a
> separatre script. for me the way i work and use them its far more
> convenient.

the vservers init script does only start those guests you tell it to, if you
don't specify any guest it will just make proc entries visible..

additionally the vservers init script ensures that on stop/reboot _all_ guests
are shut down probperly

so there is definitely no need to put one command (vprocunhide) in an extra
ini script.

> i just re-emerged util-vserver-0.30.208-r3 to see the msg that i missed...
> it doesnt tell me that vprocunhide is no longer a separate script. it tells
> me to run vprocunhide then goes on to tell me an init script was installed
> and how to add it with no reference that vprocunhide was added into it..
> there is nothing about changes.. sorry:)
>
> * You have to run the vprocunhide command after every reboot
> * in order to setup /proc permissions correctly for vserver
> * use. An init script has been installed by this package.
> * To use it you should add it to a runlevel:
> *
> * rc-update add vserver default
> *
> * This init script will also help you to start/stop your vservers
> * on reboot. See /etc/conf.d/vserver for details

what nice message! it told you everything i told you :)