Re: [Vserver] a few minor? problems with Xvnc / KDE in a guest

From: Chuck <chuck_at_sbbsnet.net>
Date: Mon 17 Oct 2005 - 21:35:47 BST

On Monday 17 October 2005 05:03 am, Herbert Poetzl wrote:

thats was it o great guru :) thank you! all i had to do was add my users to
the tty group and terminal windows now work.

still doesn't fix the startup problem though where after a guest start i have
to log into kde as root then log out to allow regular users to log in.
without this, kde only gets to some point in initializing services and then
dies.

i did notice one thing but i dont know if this would have a bearing on it or
not.. whenever i start xdm which then runs kdm, i get this error:

kdm[5185]: XDMCP socket creation failed, errno 97

however, after i have done the root login, i can restart xdm all i want and it
gets that error every time but nothing affects my login as a regular user. it
always continues to work until the guest is restarted again.

i have no clue where to look for that problem :) everything within the
kdm/xdm/kde framework has a single ip listen address assigned.
everything within kde that i need for remote admin work and personal option
config for kde works fine.

i have removed everything else from the menu since its not a 'play' desktop :)

once i can get this to work without a root login first, then there is 100%
success in running a remote kde desktop under a vserver guest :)

> On Mon, Oct 17, 2005 at 02:30:50AM -0400, Chuck wrote:
> > I almost hafve remote desktops working perfectly in a guest. I have two
issues
> > to deal with, one/both of which may be easy to solve?
> >
> > When I log into the guest from remote after first starting the guest
so /tmp
> > is empty, KDE halts at initializing services and the connection
> > breaks,dropping out of guest memory as it should. I don't know what causes
> > this but if I first log in as root after a guest startup, it all works and
> > every user can log in properly afterward.. any clues why this happens?
> >
> > It would be nice to figure this one out otherwise every time I restart the
> > guest, I have to remember to log in as root then log out. It all works for
> > users for as long as that guest remains running after root has logged in
and
> > out. I'm at a loss where to look on this one.
> >
> > My other issue which is a fairly major one, is that from within KDE I
cannot
> > open any kind of terminal window, be it user / root shell, ssh shell,
> > nothing. Which tells me I need some kind of tty/pts definition that is
> > non-harmful. Any ideas there?
>
> check the /dev/pts permissions and the groups, maybe your
> permissions are too restrictive to allow terminal sessions
> to work properly. also check the logs for pam messages and
> verify that your pam setup is working correctly, e.g. on
> was it FC4? disable the uuid audit plugin ...
>
> HTH,
> Herbert
>
> > I have no user-defined capabilities of any kind given to the guest. It is
> > just as it was created.
> >
> > Outside of these two things, it works perfectly and doesn't bother my
primary
> > desktop running on the host at all:)
> >

> > --
> >
> > Chuck

Chuck
"...and the hordes of M$*ft users descended upon me in their anger,
and asked 'Why do you not get the viruses or the BlueScreensOfDeath
or insecure system troubles and slowness or pay through the nose
for an OS as *we* do?!!', and I answered...'I use Linux'. "
The Book of John, chapter 1, page 1, and end of book