Re: [Vserver] Gentoo Vserver: PHP5 -> udev -> baselayout problem

From: Chuck <chuck_at_sbbsnet.net>
Date: Fri 11 Nov 2005 - 11:03:32 GMT

On Friday 11 November 2005 05:46 am, Tor Rune Skoglund wrote:
> Hi List!
>
> This is probably a Gentoo specific Vserver problem:
>
> I am trying to emerge dev-lang/php to get php5. package.keywords have been
> set accordingly. Emerge wants to install udev for some reason. (Why would
> I want udev in a vserver? I probably don't...)
>
> Anyway, when trying to emerge udev, udev want a baselayout other than
> the vserver baselayout, and there my knowledge stops.
>
> Might be something with my USE flags? But I can't see which.
>
> Strange thing is that in another installation on another host, I do not
> have this udev requirement when installing php5.
>
> Any help or pointers appreciated. You guys probably want to see
> some config files. Just tell me which.

probably one of the Gentoo engineers on this list will be the best ones to
respond, but the only thing that came to mind as a 'user' was if you had udev
installed on the host? i don't know how dangerous a thing this would be, but
possibly place the udev version it wants into package.provided to tell
portage that you are maintaining it and not to worry? or, what i have done in
the past for some packages was to use the --nodeps emerge option and manually
emerge the dependencies it needs except the offending pkg in this case udev
and just basically tell it to go to h*** :) these may be extremely dangerous
things to try so it might be good to wait for one of the gentoo developers to
respond to this.

> Best regards
> Tor Rune Skoglund

Chuck
"...and the hordes of M$*ft users descended upon me in their anger,
and asked 'Why do you not get the viruses or the BlueScreensOfDeath
or insecure system troubles and slowness or pay through the nose
for an OS as *we* do?!!', and I answered...'I use Linux'. "
The Book of John, chapter 1, page 1, and end of book