Re: [Vserver] util-vserver: make install tries to compile

From: Bodo Eggert <7eggert_at_gmx.de>
Date: Thu 24 Nov 2005 - 14:10:09 GMT

On Thu, 24 Nov 2005, Enrico Scholz wrote:
> 7eggert@gmx.de (Bodo Eggert) writes:

> > If I run 'make install', the make script tries to compile a
> > file.
>
> Can not reproduce that

It turned out to be a dependency on the dietlibc objects. If they don't
exist on the target system, the build process will be restarted.

> > Off cause this can't work out, since I transfered the pre-built
> > directory from the machine with my compiler to my server, where
> > I want to install.
>
> What is the deeper sense behind this unusual process? Why not
> just do the common
>
> | make install DESTDIR=/var/tmp/uv-root

Because I asumed this function would be a property of ./configure if it
existed, and I didn't find it there.

--
Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the
ark; professionals built the Titanic. -- Anonymous