Re: [OT][Vserver] VServer vs OpenVZ

From: Dennis Roos <dennis_at_roos.to>
Date: Wed 07 Dec 2005 - 16:26:50 GMT

On Wednesday 07 December 2005 16:57, Alex Lyashkov wrote:
> ÷ óÒÄ, 07.12.2005, × 16:34, Herbert Poetzl ÐÉÛÅÔ:

> > > And all this time VServer need a hack for allow bind socket to
> > > INADDR_ANY at VPS ;-)
> >
> > hmm, well, it works reasonably fine .. no?
>
> The thing that I find unreasonable is that you cannot bind to INADDR_ANY
> on
> the host server, without affecting all the VPSes.
> This basically means that if you have default bind (or ssh) installed on
> the HOST system, no VPSes will be able to bring up those services.
The guests bring up the services just fine... You can't do anything usefull
with them, I'll grant you that. It just shows that security and server
administration of servers should not be taken lightly.

What I find unreasonable in a lot of applications is that some don't even
allow you to bind to a specific interface and/or address, but this is the
wrong ML to discuss that topic ;)

One more thing I would like to add to this discussion is that life is about
choice...
Some decide to use Linux-VServer, some decide to use OpenVZ while managers
tend to go for a Virtuozzo license. Some prefer vi, some prefer joe while
others can not live without emacs; a different subject, same discussion ;)

Everyone has a different need and there are always many solutions to problem,
some solutions are to be preferred, which does not necessarily mean that the
others are bad.

Just my $.02

--
Regards,