Re: [Vserver] PPPOE vservers and outbound routing

From: Herbert Poetzl <herbert_at_13thfloor.at>
Date: Thu 08 Dec 2005 - 17:11:29 GMT

On Thu, Dec 08, 2005 at 06:42:00PM +0200, Etienne Pretorius wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I would just like to know how do I make my ppp0 (pppoe) interface
> visible and thus routable inside the vserver. I have this interface
> on the main server and sofar using the new style configs with
> bcapabilities set to CAP_SYS_ADMIN,CAP_NET_ADMIN,CAP_NET_RAW I still
> can't see the interface and so I can't route through it.

well, you are jumping to conclusions here .. first
a few words to clarify ...

 - networking happens on the host (for now), the guest
   does not interfere with that
 - guests are restricted to IPs, not to interfaces
 - interfaces which do not carry IPs assigned to a guest
   are hidden inside a guest
 - routing is placed on the host and is _not_ affected
   by any guest setups
 - giving CAP_SYS_ADMIN,CAP_NET_ADMIN or CAP_NET_RAW
   is compromising your guest security, and is seldom
   what you really want ...

now for your situation:

 - the interface hiding can be controlled via the (by
   default enabled) hide_netif flag. turn it off and
   you will see all interfaces
 - you probably do not 'route' through that interface
   because the host routing does not specify any route
   through that interface for the IP(s) assigned to
   your guest
 - assigning the/a ppp IP to the guest will have two
   effects: a) ppp will become visible and b) packets
   routed through ppp might use that IP (which is
   probably what you want)

HTH,
Herbert