Re: [Vserver] memory problems?

From: Herbert Poetzl <herbert_at_13thfloor.at>
Date: Mon 12 Dec 2005 - 02:06:25 GMT

On Sun, Dec 11, 2005 at 10:28:04PM +0200, Roché Compaan wrote:
> On Sun, 2005-12-11 at 11:34 -0800, Alexander Kabanov wrote:
> > hi,
> >
> > i'm having similar errors (I do have limits and scheduler set, using
> > rlimits (as, rss, nproc) and scheduler) whenever i do stress testing,
> > (overloading mta or web server for example).
> >
> > during a stress test, some applications die because of no memory
> > available or can't fork, some stop with segmentation fault (not able
> > to do vserver <vs> enter),. when attacking httpd might have httpd
> > <defunct>.
>
> I am experiencing the same problems. The segfaults and not being able to
> enter a vserver from the host *really* worries me.

well, if the limits are reached, the guest can not create
new processes and/or instantiate more memory ... of course
this might lead to program termination and the fact that
a guest cannot be entered (as the limits are hard limits).
raising them will make it all work again ...

in the future we will add soft limits and guarantees too
so that the 'hard' limit can be seen as last resort (and
to prevent DoS)

HTC,
Herbert