[Vserver] setting the MAC address for a vserver

From: Bert De Vuyst <bert.devuyst_at_intec.ugent.be>
Date: Thu 15 Dec 2005 - 10:35:56 GMT

Hello,

In our network we have some old PC's running the flexlm license manager. I
would like to migrate these setups to vservers. But there is a problem
regarding to the MAC address of the network interface. The license is bound
to a specific network card. Migrating the license isn't cheap.

Is there a way to setup "virtual" interfaces having there own MAC in linux?
Someone told it is possible using user-mode-linux and bridging. But I would
like to user linux-vserver instead of UML. I don't care about the overhead of
a bridge, as there is hardly any load on these machines. So far, I got the
bridge running. But I can't set the MAC addres (using: ifconfig promisc hw)

Thanks for your help,

Bert.