Re: [Vserver] recommended way to backup vserver guests with nightly cron job?

From: Chuck <chuck_at_sbbsnet.net>
Date: Tue 20 Dec 2005 - 12:04:53 GMT

On Tuesday 20 December 2005 04:30 am, Gerhard Hofmann wrote:

for backups that's what i do... every 4 hours i just tar them even while
running, and then once nightly i stop each one tar then restart...it is fast
enough there is minimal downtime.

i personally don't see the need for mysqldump if you tar the entire thing, but
there are a few ways to run it.. one is of course to run cron in the guest
and do it that way, the other is in the backup script and simply point it to
the proper database.. its a bit more complicated in the host script but it
can be done..

there is another way i think which i have not investigated yet.. there is a
host command to execute a program within the guest and the guest environment.
i'm just not sure what it is.

> Hi list,
>
> I'm a newbie to vserver and I wonder how to backup my vserver guests
> with a cron job run by the vserver host.
>
> I think it should be something like that:
> vserver myvserver stop
> ...compress /etc/vserver to a tgz file and save on external storage...
> vserver myvserver start
>
> Have I forgotten something important here?
>
> Myvserver will run mysql and apache (TYPO3 content management system),
> so I think it won't hurt to run a mysqldump before shutting down and
> backing up myvserver.
>
> What is the best way to invoke the mysqldump command within myvserver? A
> separate cron job within the guest?
>
> TIA
> Gerhard

Chuck
"...and the hordes of M$*ft users descended upon me in their anger,
and asked 'Why do you not get the viruses or the BlueScreensOfDeath
or insecure system troubles and slowness or pay through the nose
for an OS as *we* do?!!', and I answered...'I use Linux'. "
The Book of John, chapter 1, page 1, and end of book