Re:[Vserver] Vserver and Reiserfs3

From: Joel Soete <soete.joel_at_tiscali.be>
Date: Tue 20 Dec 2005 - 14:27:07 GMT

Hello Mike,

> A collection of notes on adding vserver to
> a system with an existing ReiserFS-3 filesystem.
>
> When configuring your shiny new vps-linux:
>
> Under Filesystems on menuconfig;
> enable
> ReiserFS extended attributes
> and
> ReiserFS POSIX access control lists
>
> if not already configured (mine where not).
> - - - -

Right mine wasn't too

[snip]

> Now the "testfs.sh" script should run, try it:
> # ./testfs.sh -D /dev/loop0 -M /mnt
> or for only ReiserFS:
> # ./testfs.sh -F reiser -D /dev/loop0 -M /mnt
> - - - -

unfortunately still failed at the same places on my parisc box: i.e.
[...]
        verify /mnt/test/file_3053: -+(-)-i-+(-) ~ -----------------
[114]# failed.
[...]
        verify /mnt/test/file_3053: -+(-)-i-+(-) ~ ----i-------E----
[124]# failed.
[199]# succeeded.

:-(

So most probably, a p-l issue, but i doubt that maintainers would track it down.

(lol and no, I definitely don't want to do, I still have to fix many details
of my vps as automatic restart when reboot the system, ...)

> Running the test script for the ReiserFS-3 filesystem
> only leaves the loop file formated as a ReiserFS-3
> and unmounted.
> - - - -
>

> Mount it again so you can play with it:
> mount -o attrs,acl /dev/loop0 /mnt
> - - - -
>
> I worked through the examples in the SuSE in
> the administrators guide, found here:
> <www.suse.de/~agruen/acl/chapter/fs_acl-en.pdf>
>
> A note on those examples: use a user name and
> a group name that already exists on your machine,
> not the names in the examples.
>
> Note how a subdirectory inherits the default acl of
> its parent. Now you have an alternative or supplement
> to hard linking files into all of your vserver contexts.
>
> - - - -
> Backing up a filesystem with acl information requires
> an "acl aware" program - the "star" program is one such.
>
> - - - -
> One more note - you had better find the most recent
> versions of all system utilities this involves - I can't give
> minimum versions, since I just built the 'most current'
> of everything to get this to work.
> - - - -

That said, nice recipe and collection of info.

Thanks a lot,
    Joel