Re: [Vserver] Continuing implementaion of a DebSid vserver on a hppa box (need more help)

From: Michael S. Zick <mszick_at_morethan.org>
Date: Wed 21 Dec 2005 - 18:11:28 GMT

On Wed December 21 2005 11:41, Joel Soete wrote:
> > Hello all,
> >
> > BUT the from the host I can always access and modify data into guest dedicated
> > fs (and btw I risk to corupt a guest service config by accident because the
> > host ignore, well doesn't show, processes owned by guest).
> >
> > My question is so: is it possible to configure another way the guest server to
> > hide its data from host?

Hi Joel,

One way that 'should' work is to use Access Control Lists (ACL).

Since that mechanism works at the filesystem level, it should be
transparent to any Vserver.

Note that I said: "should" - I am still testing and looking for
hidden gotchas. Will post my notes once I try it myself.

I posted a link to a good description in one of my earlier mails,
the one that summarized my exploring ReiserFS-3/4.

The ACL examples are here:
<www.suse.de/~agruen/acl/chapter/fs_acl-en.pdf>

Those examples are known to work on ext2, ext3, Reiser-3, xfs
and maybe others. Not yet in Reiser-4.
Just be sure to use a group name and user name that is
on your system rather than those shown in the examples.

The acl tools (getfacl, setfacl) in Debian/Stable work as described.
For other than xfs you will probably have to pass an option or two
to the mount command (edit your fstab).

The summary e-mail is here:
<http://list.linux-vserver.org/archive/vserver/msg11799.html>

Mike