Re: [Vserver] setting the MAC address for a vserver

From: Herbert Poetzl <herbert_at_13thfloor.at>
Date: Wed 21 Dec 2005 - 23:57:09 GMT

On Thu, Dec 22, 2005 at 12:42:58AM +0100, Bert De Vuyst wrote:
> On Thursday 15 December 2005 15:53, Herbert Poetzl wrote:
>
> > depending on the number of guests which would
> > require such changes, and the way the check is
> > implemented, you could do one of the following:
> >
> > - write a preload library/command wrapper to fake the MAC
> > - hack the kernel to report per guest MAC
> > - use dummy interfaces and assign a separate MAC
>
> To avoid any misunderstanding. We do pay our license fees for the
> software. I just would like to move the license server from a
> dedicated machine to a vserver, and have a second copy of this
> vserver as a failover on a other machine.

right, but isn't that something the company (which
licenced you to do certain things) would allow and
thus make possible if it were within the scope of
your license?

> Moving a license is expensive and it still doesn't allow us to
> implement a failover for the license server.

which might be on purpose, and doing so might also
violate the license/contract with that company ...

again, IANAL and it's all hypothetical to me ...