Re: [Vserver] Step by Step Guide to a nano-vserver

From: Michael S. Zick <mszick_at_morethan.org>
Date: Thu 22 Dec 2005 - 10:00:09 GMT

On Thu December 22 2005 03:25, Joel Soete wrote:
> > Joel, and Group;
> >
> > I have a rough draft of the step-by-step guide
> > to creating a nano-vserver posted.
> >
> mmm, I see the baby is a nano baby girl ;-).
> may be could you (we) find a more shiny name?
> (refbox, though?)
> But as she made the light on the obscure side of the force, she's bright,
> isn't it? name her Bridget?
> Just a suggestion, in fine, you are its father ;-)

Good suggestion
I want to live with her for another
day or two before I decide what to call her ;)

> > Comments welcome from anyone with time to
> > read through it.
> >
> Just a comment:
> What do you think to put the note in paragraph 5.1:
> "Vserver extends the concept of using ..."
> better as a general introduction?
> (it's the basis but doesn't seems to me enough 'spotlighted')

I have added an abstract, an introduction, and changed the
title.
The morning version of the guide is posted at the same link,
just refresh your copy.
No changes to the baby01.bin file or how to run it.

That file is a Linux/x86 system. It will be awhile before I
can build a hppa-risc version.

> > The end result of the tutorial is a virtual server
> > running Bash and BusyBox fully contained within a
> > single file. (Actually, the testfs.sh test file.)
> >
> > The current draft here:
> > <http://www.spamviz.net/download/step_step.ps.gz>
> >
> and a question about the:
> mount -o bind /proc /vservers/refbox/proc
>
> why?

Because :

> In fact, till now, I just used 'vserver DebSid star/stop/enter' and my
> DebSid/fstab already contained:
> none /proc proc defaults 0 0
>
> Is there a subtle difference, I missed?

That 'vserver' command is a (large) Bash script in front
of the low-level commands.
That is one of the many things the script does for the
user.

The baby uses the low-level commands for now, just
to expose to the new user what is happening.

Also, she can not be started with "vserver refbox start"
without a bunch of complaints from the vserver script.

I will fix that when I get it figured out.

> > The entire virtual server as a compressed file:
> > <http://www.spamviz.net/download/baby01.bin.gz>
> >
> > Watch out, she is heavy, weights in at about 4Mb.
> >
> Congratulation: "you are the father of a nice baby" ;-)
>
> Thanks a lot,
> Joel
>
> (PS: her foreseen clone would make stuff more clear, if possible, name her
> Clara ;<))

Today's project is to make a clone of her.

And then try using the file extended attributes and
file access lists.
Maybe I will be able to learn how to protect her from
heavy feet in the host.

I will be updating the step-by-step as I go, also including
anything others mention to me.

Thanks very much for your comments Joel.
Mike