Re:[Vserver] Step by Step Guide to a nano-vserver

From: Joel Soete <soete.joel_at_tiscali.be>
Date: Thu 22 Dec 2005 - 16:22:58 GMT

Hello Mike,

Sorry if that break the thread but only read info from m-l (didn't 'yet'?
recived actual mail, though).

> Good suggestion
> I want to live with her for another
> day or two before I decide what to call her ;)

No pb I love 'baby' too ;-)

> > > Comments welcome from anyone with time to
> > > read through it.
> > >
> > Just a comment:
> > What do you think to put the note in paragraph 5.1:
> > "Vserver extends the concept of using ..."
> > better as a general introduction?
> > (it's the basis but doesn't seems to me enough 'spotlighted')
> >
> I have added an abstract, an introduction, and changed the
> title.
> The morning version of the guide is posted at the same link,
> just refresh your copy.
ok, cool ;-)

> That file is a Linux/x86 system. It will be awhile before I
> can build a hppa-risc version.
well busybox is also pre-compile for p-l, so I would also be alble to rebuild
according your advise :<?

[...]
> > and a question about the:
> > mount -o bind /proc /vservers/refbox/proc
> >
> > why?
> >
> Because :
lol

> > In fact, till now, I just used 'vserver DebSid star/stop/enter' and my
> > DebSid/fstab already contained:
> > none /proc proc defaults 0 0
> >
> > Is there a subtle difference, I missed?
> >
> That 'vserver' command is a (large) Bash script in front
> of the low-level commands.
> That is one of the many things the script does for the
> user.
Ah ok (I am not yet in this detail investigation)

> The baby uses the low-level commands for now, just
> to expose to the new user what is happening.
>
> Also, she can not be started with "vserver refbox start"
> without a bunch of complaints from the vserver script.
Great idea, thanks trial example, it's easier to understand basic concept and
progress 'step by step' (very educational)

> I will fix that when I get it figured out.
may be use latter with a baby a bit older (I mean when she would learn more
about its environement and could do its first step ;-) )

[...]
> Today's project is to make a clone of her.
>
> And then try using the file extended attributes and
> file access lists.
> Maybe I will be able to learn how to protect her from
> heavy feet in the host.
>
> I will be updating the step-by-step as I go, also including
> anything others mention to me.
mmm, wiki seems to be the dreaming tool for that but I don't yet play enough
to advise better how is it easy/difficult to implement (maintenance/update
seem very easy ;-))

Thanks for the share of experience,
    Joel --------------------------------------------------------------- A free anti-spam and anti-virus filter on all Scarlet mailboxes More info on http://www.scarlet.be/