Re: [Vserver] can i install fedora core 4 in a vserver using the cds

From: Herbert Poetzl <herbert_at_13thfloor.at>
Date: Thu 22 Dec 2005 - 17:26:32 GMT

On Thu, Dec 22, 2005 at 09:21:36PM +0500, Mustafa Abbasi wrote:
> i have dowlaoded the cds of fedora core 4, but i can't figure out how
> ito nstall it into a vserver running on debian.i am new so please easy
> instrucion would be appreciated.

well, as Linux-VServer does not do system emulation
(i.e. you won't get a virtual CD drive and such), just
system (and resource) isolation, you basically have to
solve the problem:

"How do I install FC4 from a bunch of CDs into a directory?"

and the solutions could be:

 - use rpm with the --root= option to get the packages
   installed into a dir

 - use UML or QEMU or some full system emulator to
   install the CDs in a virtual machine and copy the
   resulting installing into a directory

 - adjust/adapt (or just trick) the CD installer into
   isntalling FC4 on a separate dir/partition

 - setup a repository (apt-rpm, yum) to install from
   and use the util-vserver tools to install a guest
   from scratch (which is the preferred way)

HTH,