Re: [Vserver] can i install fedora core 4 in a vserver using the cds

From: Mustafa Abbasi <lordverminard_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri 23 Dec 2005 - 03:37:17 GMT

> 1) Is one of the FC4 cds bootable?
> 2) Can you shutdown your target machine?
> 3) How old is your version of Bash?

1. yes 1 cd is bootable
2. yes i can shut ut down
3 i use debain/sarge is that ok.

> - use rpm with the --root= option to get the packages
> installed into a dir
>
> - use UML or QEMU or some full system emulator to
> install the CDs in a virtual machine and copy the
> resulting installing into a directory - adjust/adapt (or just trick) the
> CD installer into

  isntalling FC4 on a separate dir/partition

> - setup a repository (apt-rpm, yum) to install from
> and use the util-vserver tools to install a guest
> from scratch (which is the preferred way)

i did try to ue apt-rpm but could not figure i out. do i have to install
somethings on debian to use apt-rp/ there is not such package in the debian
stable main.

> Well, as Herbert said, find out how to make the
> installer do the installation into the directory that
> you created with the "vserver <name> build"
> command rather than the entire disk system.

i have downlaoded a mandeake tar from http://free.oszoo.org/download.html.
i tried to install install it but i got a few error.
could you tell me how to create an empty vserver so that i can copy the
mandrake installation in the tar over to that file by mounting the image.