Re: [Vserver] Wiki : HowTo graph vserver usage with cacti

From: micah <micah_at_riseup.net>
Date: Sun 25 Dec 2005 - 21:35:15 GMT

On Fri, 16 Dec 2005, GarconDuMonde clickity clacked:

> >>let me know if there is real demand, and somebody is
> >>willing to do the userspace part .. we could then go for
> >>netlink or relayfs ...
> >>

> > I'm interested in monitoring the hell out of the vservers (cpu %,
> > loadavg, tokens, memory, network traffic, processes, disk i/o, you
> > name it) so I'd be willing to help (please note I haven't used neither
> > netlink nor relayfs yet but you learn all your life, don't you?)
>
> me also! i really don't know that much about kernel stuff at all, and
> it's not highest on my list of priorities to learn at the moment, but
> i am keen to "monitor the hell out of the vservers" (what a great
> phrase!), ultimately on a number of different physical hosts.
> currently, the only monitoring tool i really have experience with is
> munin, but cacti has been highly recommended to me, so i'm very happy
> to learn it and then try to help get it as good as possible for
> vserver usage.

AOL (in otherwords: me too!).

A side note, cacti is not much different than munin, both use rrd
backends, and each is just a different front-end for setting up the
graphs and monitoring. I tried cacti a number of times as it was going
through some major changes, and I found it had a much higher learning
curve than munin and I did not get as much out of it. With munin I was
able to write new monitoring plug-ins very quickly and imagine I could
do so for vserver monitoring to create interesting graphs, if I knew
what values to look at and poll.

> > I have a little patch to collect per-server disk usage stats (somewhat
> > like /proc/diskstats) but I dropped it from my kernels during the
> > recent debugging frenzy and I'm a bit reluctant to apply it again - a
> > bit too intrusive for my taste and I don't know whether it's SMP-safe
> > really. If anybody is interested, feel free to drop me a note.

It would be interesting to have this included in linux-vserver kernel
patch!

Micah