Re: [Vserver] k-2.6.15 + vs-2.1.0.1 + util-verser-0.30.209 + hppa + smp BUG()?

From: Joel Soete <soete.joel_at_tiscali.be>
Date: Thu 05 Jan 2006 - 07:32:39 GMT

Hello Mike, Herbert,

> On Wed January 4 2006 09:58, Herbert Poetzl wrote:
> > On Wed, Jan 04, 2006 at 02:49:01PM +0100, Joel Soete wrote:
> > > Hello Herbert,
> > >
> > > I install a second vserver on my parisc-linux box and also updated a
> > > bit kernel stuff as this new year borns with a new kernel ;-).
> > >
> > > All seems to works fine with "k-2.6.15 + vs-2.1.0.1 +
> > > util-verser-0.30.209" on this system with the up kernel kernel build
> > > ;-)
> > >
> > > Unfortunately the system BUG() with the same kernel src but build for
> > > a smp system (as this machine has actualy 2 cpu ;-) ); here is the
> > > console message: BUG: soft lockup detected on CPU#0!
> >
> > wow, never heard of a parisc with working SMP
> >
> There might still be problems with 64bit-SMP on pa-risc;
> but 32bit-SMP is a done deal.

for my part, my n4k server 2way (only) 64bit kernel only seems to works fine.
But I don't yet start 64bit test for linux vserver (lake of time and hw ;-( )

OTH the d380 about which I report the pb is either 32 or 64 bit kernel capable
. Unfortunately some important drivers are not yet 64bit ready, so for the
moment I only run 32bit kernel.

That said, this parisc 32bit smp doesn't seems to be so stable: eventhought it
was up for severall hours, this early morning the system was down. Don't ask
me why: there was absolutly any trace (console died without reporting
anything, nic died, no piminfo (some kind of nvram saving cpu stat info)).
Very weird and anoying.

So, I would so have to come back with parisc smp vserver test when upstream
(parisc) will be fixed.

> Joel does a lot of the testing on pa-risc - but I think
> that is 32bit-SMP that he is reporting.

Yes ;-)

For the moment I will continue with up stuff ;-)

Thanks a lot,
    Joel ------------------------------------------------------- NOTE! My email address is changing to ... @scarlet.be Please make the necessary changes in your address book.