Re: [Vserver] vservers don't start after update to 2.01

From: Jens Holze <yodahome_at_googlemail.com>
Date: Fri 13 Jan 2006 - 12:43:04 GMT

2006/1/11, Herbert Poetzl <herbert@13thfloor.at>:
> On Wed, Jan 11, 2006 at 04:03:58PM +0100, Jens Holze wrote:
> > Hi!
> >
> > I updated VServer from 2.00 to 2.01 by patching a new 2.6.14.4-kernel
> > and installing the utils (209) from self-build rpms on Fedora Core 4.
>
> maybe the installation of your 'self built' utils is a
> little incomplete ... I'd try with the source tar, and
> after a proper configuration (to get your pathes right)
> do the 'make install' and 'make install-distribution'

I erased the rpms and installed from source (with the prefix=/).
Everything is in place now, save_ctxinfo in /lib/util-vserver/ .

> > Everything worked prior to that but since then I can't manage to start
> > any debian-based Vservers. I thought something with the kernel went
> > wrong so I build it anew but that didn't solve anything.
> > When trying to start a vserver I get:
> >
> > // RTNETLINK answers: File exists
>
> this means that the 'configured' IP(s) already exists,
> maybe with a different netmask/prefix, check with
> 'ip addr ls' and remove the 'offending' IP(s)

Yeah I know, this one is not the problem, I just took existing
settings and made a new server from it hoping that would eliminate the
save_ctxinfo problem...

> > // save_ctxinfo: execv(): No such file or directory
>
> this very much looks like the save_ctxinfo is failing
> possible reasons could be:
>
> - /lib/util-vserver/save_ctxinfo (or wherever it is
> on your distro) is not executable or missing
> - /etc/vservers/.defaults/run.rev is not pointing
> to a valid directory to store the info
> - the directory /var/run/vservers.rev is not writeable
> or does not exist

I thought so but: save_ctxinfo is at the exact location and
executable... /run.rev is there and pointing to /var/run/vservers.rev
which exists and is writeable (there are directories inside for the
fedora vservers which are running!). It must be something special that
is done in debian vservers which doesn't happen with fedora core
vservers?!
Also, I wonder where the vserver starting script looks for this file,
is it possible that I have to edit any config file? I mean it's in the
same directory so why doesn't he find it?

> > // An error occured while executing the vserver startup sequence; when
> > // there are no other messages, it is very likely that the init-script
> > // (/etc/init.d/rc 3) failed.
> > //
> > // Common causes are:
> > // * /etc/rc.d/rc on Fedora Core 1 and RH9 fails always; the 'apt-rpm' build
> > // method knows how to deal with this, but on existing installations,
> > // appending 'true' to this file will help.
> > //
> > // Failed to start vserver 'debian_two'
> >
> > The common causes don't really help and I can't think of anything
> > else. I even build an all new debian vserver but even this one doesn't
> > boot. Other (Fedora-based) vservers do work perfectly. Any help would
> > be greatly appreciated.
>
> yes, well, to explain all kinds of errors in a tool
> of this complexity is almost impossible ...

Of course it is, it's just that its obviously a different problem as
far as I get it.

Jens
> HTH,
> Herbert