Re: [Vserver] /. [OpenVZ Pushing for Linux Kernel Inclusion]

From: Grzegorz Nosek <grzegorz.nosek_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed 18 Jan 2006 - 11:29:08 GMT

2006/1/18, Eugen Leitl <eugen@leitl.org>:

> Link: http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=06/01/17/2251233
> Posted by: ScuttleMonkey, on 2006-01-18 00:32:00
>
> RomanianClimber writes to tell us News.com is reporting that SWSoft is
> trying to get [1]OpenVZ into the Linux kernel. OpenVZ is an operating
> system level server virtualization solution, built on Linux. From the
> article: "In this, it has a major ally: Red Hat, the top seller of the
> open-source operating system, which plans to add the software to its
> free Fedora version of Linux for enthusiasts. The companies' move to
> make OpenVZ partitioning standard in Linux is timely, said Pund-IT
> analyst Charles King."
>
> References
>
> 1. http://news.com.com/2102-1016_3-6027219.html?tag=st.util.print
>
> ----- End forwarded message -----

Yup, and the crowd of slashdotters have already shot down this idea,
a'la the following comment:

<http://linux.slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=174265&cid=14496194>

<quote>
I'd like to post my agreement; VZ is generally a massive pile, is a
resource hog extrodinare, and sucks royally compared to both Linux
VServers and FreeBSD jails. HSPComplete is even uglier. I mean, the
vzbackup scripts require SSH, even if you're using them to backup the
local machine, and they have this nasty habit of locking on a random
VPS and then dying silently.
</quote>

Best regards,
 Grzegorz Nosek