Re: [Vserver] How to vunify/vhashify on Gentoo

From: Wilhelm Meier <meier_at_informatik.fh-kl.de>
Date: Sun 22 Jan 2006 - 14:46:49 GMT

Am Sonntag, 22. Januar 2006 12:38 schrieb Enrico Scholz:
> meier@informatik.fh-kl.de (Wilhelm Meier) writes:
> > I'm using Gentoo as a host and also Gentoo as VPSs. If I try to
> > vunify/vhashify two VPS, I get:
> >
> > gs vservers # ln
> > -s /etc/vservers/vs01 /etc/vservers/vs01c/apps/vunify/refserver.00
> >
> > gs vservers # vserver vs01c unify
> > Can not determine packagemanagement style
> > failed to determine configfiles
>
> Does vhashify/vunify really make sense on Gentoo? AFAIK, Gentoo does not
> have a packagemanagement and you have to recompile everything (which
> will probably produce different checksums).

Yes, but Gentoo has package-management - the portage system.

> When you do a 'make install' from the same source tree, vhashify/vunify
> will still not work because most 'make install' do not preserve timestamps.
> But because timestamps are used to check whether files are identically
> resp. are going into the calculation of the hash value, you will not gain
> very much with vhashify/vunify on Gentoo.

You have to use binary packages, then you will gain the same amount as with
other distributions. And you have to compile the things only once. This is
o.k. since the compiler-flags won't change from Vserver to VServer. The only
issue might be with the portage-use-flags.

> Enrico

Wilhelm Meier
email: meier@informatik.fh-kl.de