Re: [Vserver] DHCP Client in a vserver guest

From: Herbert Poetzl <herbert_at_13thfloor.at>
Date: Fri 27 Jan 2006 - 11:03:11 GMT

On Fri, Jan 27, 2006 at 07:10:47AM +0200, Tom Coetser wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've now spent quite some time trying to find this answer in the
> VServer wikkis and on google, but can not seem to find it.
>
> Is it possible to have a vserver guest get it's IP address from a DHCP
> server on the network? If so, how?

yes, it is possible, but it does not give a real
advantage, because:

 - the guest has the same MAC as the host
 - it requires 'raw' network access to do DHCP
   (which is no ip protocol)

so basically you would end up giving some caps
to the guest and specifying a 'special' client
identifier (i.e. a name or IP :) just to get
some IP assigned and have the dhcp client renew
it every 5 minutes or so ...

> I find many references to running a DHCP *server* inside a vserver
> guest, but maybe I'm missing something very obvious or I'm not
> searching properly because I can not find anything on using a DHCP
> client in a vserver guest.
>
> This is on a Debian host (AMD64), kernel 2.6.12 with vs2.01
> and util-vserver 0.30.209-2. Guests are Debian ia32 and amd64
> installations.

HTC,
Herbert