Re: [Vserver] Re: 2.6.16-rc1-vs2.1.0.9 latest test on parisc

From: Herbert Poetzl <herbert_at_13thfloor.at>
Date: Fri 03 Feb 2006 - 01:32:30 GMT

On Thu, Feb 02, 2006 at 04:33:16PM -0600, Michael S. Zick wrote:

> > > I guess we can find out when Joel sends results of tests?
> >
> > possible, well, testme and testfs will not
> > detect the insecurities introduced by glibc
> >
> Are there any tests available to check for these glibc problems?

I don't know of explicit tests, but it should be
possible to create some, given that somebody wants
to spend time on it ...

> If not, perhaps a pointer or two into the mail archives on
> the subject or pointer(s) to a discussion of the problems found?

http://list.linux-vserver.org/archive/vserver/msg09379.html
(there are others, just goolge for it)

IMHO dietlibc isn't a bad choice after all, although
I was initially annoyed by the change, why?

 - we get smaller binaries
 - we can easily test on various platforms as
   diet has excellent support for cross compiling
 - the resulting code is somewhat efficient, so
   much simpler to debug than glibc
 - we get the 'security' of statically linked
   executables (which means we do not have to worry)
 - we do not have to struggle with distro specific
   libc modifications or features (or lack thereof)