Re: [Vserver] Samba and Vserver Best Practices

From: Grzegorz Nosek <grzegorz.nosek_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat 04 Feb 2006 - 10:06:31 GMT

2006/2/3, Michael S. Zick <mszick@morethan.org>:
> > I've thought about using named pipes that will automatically spit out
> > log files into multiple places, but I haven't taken the time yet to
> > persue this.
> >
> You mean like: /dev/log (syslog socket)?
>

> > I envision a daemon process that watches the named pipe and (in my
> > case) spit out a full log file, like normal, then grab "interesting"
> > log entries and spit them out as separate files into a share that can
> > be accessed elsewhere.
> >
> Perhaps name the daemon syslogd?
> Try: man syslogd
>
> You can specify selected information to be remotely logged.
>
> That is the 'common' syslogd on Linux systems, if using one of the
> alternatives, remote logging might not be supported.

Have a look at syslog-ng

http://www.balabit.com/products/syslog_ng/

It's like a swiss-army knife for logging. It can listen for messages
on various socket types (unix stream/dgram, udp, tcp), filter and
route them to different outputs (files, sockets).

You might e.g. set up syslog-ng on the guests to listen on /dev/log
(for syslog compatibility) and send the messages via udp to some
designated server (also vanilla syslog or syslog-ng), which then
places the logs in the right files (e.g. based on the source host
name, contents, etc.).

As for the original question of where to put the samba server, I'd put
it in the guest. My policy regarding host--guests interaction is that
it should only happen via vserver exec (i.e. no messing in /vservers/
from the host unless it's really needed). It comes with some overhead
but having managed some chroot() based mess (where nobody can tell
what process is creating file x or how do chrooted and non-chrooted
tasks interact), I'm opting for maximum isolation.

HTH,
 Grzegorz Nosek