Re: [Vserver] vserver on webhoster-server

From: Herbert Poetzl <herbert_at_13thfloor.at>
Date: Sun 05 Feb 2006 - 06:37:39 GMT

On Sat, Feb 04, 2006 at 07:43:00PM +0100, Martin Hauptmann wrote:
> On Sat, February 04, 2006 at 19:02 Herbert Poetzl wrote:
> > On Sat, Feb 04, 2006 at 12:58:49PM +0100, Martin Hauptmann wrote:
> > > Hi, I have problems configuring internet access for vservers on
> > > a server provided by my webhoster.
> > >
> > > It is a real server with a not-private IP-Address that is connected
> > > with the only Network-Card eth0. I can install, start and enter
> > > vservers but I cannot reach the internet.
> >
> > as usual, a bit more of information would be of
> > great help here ... but I'm used to "help! it does
> > not work! how can I fix it?" mails by now ...
>
> I try not to give unnecessary information but only the information
> that help. It does not play a role which hardware the host is running
> on neither is it important which linux-dialect is installed on it or
> which version the installed vserver has.

well, for example the following things would have been
interesting to know:

 - what addresses are used
 - what routing is set up
 - what gateway(s)
 - what firewalling or nat rules

> The question is about routing.

well, depends, actually it was about nat-ing, no?

> I tried to give the necessary information and not more. When someone
> knows how to help and needs more information he would ask specific
> questions. Maybe I did not give enough information but I did not know
> which pieces of information else would be necessary.

in this case, it won't hurt to give _more_ information
because otherwise, if you do not find a friendly chap
like me, folks might think "hell I do know nothing about
his setup, probably he did something wrong" and move on

> What else do you want to know?

well, the point is moot, and the question now that I
correctly guessed "what you did wrong" obsolete ...

> > if you assign private addresses to your guests, then
> > you are probably missing a proper SNAT rule to reach
> > the outside ...
> >
> > (e.g. let's assume your guests have 192.168.0.x)
> >
> > iptables -t nat -I POSTROUTING -s 192.168.0.0/24 -j SNAT --to 1.2.3.4
> >
> > (where 1.2.3.4 is your one and only public ip)
>
> YAY! Thanx, you hit it, it works!
>
> (seems I have given enough information [SCNR])

no comment ...

> > > How can I virtualize that on my hosted server?
> >
> > what? the local gateway?
>
> Yess!
>
> > HTH,
> > Herbert
>
> It did.
>
> THX
>
> Martin

PS: please avoid double postings, replying to your
    own mails, and adding spam to your postings in
    future. thanks!