Re: [Vserver] Re: 32 bit debian/sarge on a 64 bit RedHat ES?

From: Herbert Poetzl <herbert_at_13thfloor.at>
Date: Thu 09 Feb 2006 - 10:37:21 GMT

On Thu, Feb 09, 2006 at 12:38:53PM +0300, Matvey Gladkikh wrote:
> On 07/02/06 14:22 +0100, Daniel Kraft wrote:
> > Hi List!
> >
> > I will get some Dual-Xeon-Servers soon and have to install RedHat ES on them.
> > I want to install debian/sarge-based linux-vservers on top of the RedHat.
> > I have the choice between RedHat ES 32 bit and RedHat ES 64 bit.
> >
> > The questions are:
> >
> > 1. Can I have a 32 bit debian/sarge on a 64 bit RedHat or will I have to
> > install a 64 bit debian?
>
> 64 debian better.
>

> > 2. Is it possible to patch a RedHat Kernel with linux-vserver? I don't want to
> > use a patched vanilla kernel on these systems. Are there pre-patched
> > RedHat-Kernels?
>
> for 32RHEL4 we use fedora 2.6.12 kernel.
>

> > 3. Should I use RedHat ES 32 bit and just ignore the ~20% performance loss for
> > comfortability?
>
> it is you to decide.
>
> P.S. Debian on top - RHEL inside IMHO will be easier to maintain.

hmm, well, except for the minor detail that you
(currently) cannot install RPM based distros on
a debian host (with the tools) as there is no
working rpm/yum/apt-rpm for debian ...

of course, images and templates work fine there too

and hopefully this deficiency will be soon removed
by the debian developers ...