Re: [Vserver] Unifying Gentoo Guests

From: Sam Vilain <sam_at_vilain.net>
Date: Sun 26 Feb 2006 - 23:50:23 GMT

Herbert Poetzl wrote:
>>My unify-dirs script is completely ambivalent to the packaging system
>>in use by the installed systems. So long as the files have the same
>>contents, permissions, ownership and relative location, they will be
>>unified. However it does currently rely on a 'legacy' ioctl.
> hmm .. so it uses legacy ioctls, but is intended
> for development releases (with CoW LB) I presume,
> as you would not want to unify everything without
> that ...

No, it's the classic immulink approach only, no CoW knowledge.

You would normally only use it to unify the directories where there are
shared libraries and binaries, eg with

   unify-dirs -il /vservers/*/usr
   unify-dirs -il /vservers/*/lib
   unify-dirs -il /vservers/*/bin
   unify-dirs -il /vservers/*/sbin

Otherwise you will end up with /etc all immutable, which is a bit of a
PITA (although most editors will deal with it OK).

>> http://vserver.utsl.gen.nz/scripts/unify-dirs
>>(to be included with non-legacy support in Linux::VServer)
> I guess vhashify is doing similar and probably
> much better, as it doesn't care about the file
> location (i.e. the hash value is sufficient)

Right. Well, I thought they posted problems with that script needing
package database awareness, too, so I thought I'd mention my script.

Sam.