Re: [Vserver] Re: [parisc 32bit] first test of 'stable' vs 2.6.16-vs2.0.2-rc14 (-pa10 parisc tree)

From: Joel Soete <soete.joel_at_tiscali.be>
Date: Sat 01 Apr 2006 - 18:57:44 BST

Hello Herbert,

Herbert Poetzl wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 31, 2006 at 06:27:51PM +0100, Joel Soete wrote:

[snip]
>>That said do you remember how much 'new' is this option (I don't have
>>enough space to save all kernel and config ;<( )?
>>
>>Well some time ago (I find back: around 2.6.12-rc1), I already
>>did 'just disable' a debug option, in the hope that works better:
>>the actual effect was just disable to printout "BUG ..." but the
>>underground bug effect was always there and kernel still missbehave.
>

> not disabling the de'bug' option, but the hang check
> and probably submitting something to lkml so that
> folks there could look into it ...
>
> at least I assume this happens with a vanilla kernel
> too, if not, please let me know ...

I never noticed this with parisc cvs tree, even when I use vps as a simple chroot (with just starting cron).

>>But that's a long time ago and as you're the second to 'just want to
>>disable this feature', I need to test.
>>
>>The first thing is that, the system behaviour is still heratic:
>> 1/ at the console a return can answer immediately or about 30s later?
>>
>> 2/ the same in a ssh connection: ls, vserver-stat ; sometime immediate
>>answer, sometime wait (even in the midle of the type of the cmdl)
>>
>> 3/ I reach to enter a vps (awaiting about 20min) but responding from time
>>to time
>>
>> 4/ but the system is still alive.... let it run the w-e
>

> sounds like a major scheduling issue ...

Not sure what hapen: when the system was a bit responsive, I launch a top and some time showing me about 50 cron child process,
and/or more then 20 logcheck process, also even before I started a vps server (so I presume to be a pb related to kernel, don't know
exactely what, much then the fact that I use glibc, dietlibc not availble for parisc, to build utils-vserver tools)?

I will check on monday if system is still alive ;-)

Thanks,
        Joel